The Melbourne Chargers formed in 2009 with the purpose of creating a rugby team where new players could learn the game in an accepting environment and players who had left the sport because of their sexuality could play openly. We aim to contribute to the promotion and development of the sport of Rugby Union in Victoria and to provide a new and diverse social opportunity for same-sex attracted people.
The club was founded on five core values by a group who love rugby and who happen to be gay. Our values are:
- Melbourne Chargers RUFC is inclusive and welcomes everyone with an interest in rugby whatever their age, fitness level or sexuality.
- We are active and promote fitness, wellbeing and healthy lifestyles in our communities.
- The club is encouraging and provides a supportive environment for new players to learn the sport and develop skills.
- The Melbourne Chargers are competitive and we continually strive to increase our performance at all levels.
- Melbourne Chargers Rugby is about mate-ship and fosters camaraderie on and off the field.